Sunday, March 20, 2011

Crowd Control


Posted by Angie Luvara, CARRBORO, NC -- As a photographer, one of my favorite things to do is shoot concerts. Partly because I love music, but even more because I find beauty in passion, and music performances just ooze passion. Since I can’t really ever turn off the sociologist inside me, I constantly find myself noting sociological nuances at the shows I’m shooting. There are lots of different occurrences that catch my attention at concerts.  However, one consistently interesting occurrence is the artists’ ability to control the crowd. For example, simple things such as “put your hand up!” are met with an entire crowd shoving hands into the air. Well, that might not be  too eyebrow raising, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’ve seen artists have entire crowds yelling expletives, thrusting middle fingers into the air, and even trusting their fellow crowd members enough to hold them up as they crowd surf! It fascinates me to think about the members of the crowd and how they behave in their normal, everyday lives. I wonder if any of them would yell expletives, give someone the middle finger, or attempt to crowd surf in any other public place! The power that artists exhibit over their fans just shows how truly powerful music really is.
Angie Luvara is a photographer and Managing Editor of Social Shutter. You can view more of her photography at http://angieluvphotography.blogspot.com. To see more of her photos of concert crowds, check out Social Shutter's facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment